Nuffnang Top

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Sweet Treats Update

I've been on dessert duty for the past two months thanks to some lovely recipes that have tempted some try-outs. These are a few which turned out great and will definitely be in the recipe rotation from now on.

This was a recipe I kept from Jamie Oliver from way back when. Whipped it out to try when I had some extra double cream that needed to be used up. Simple double cream mixed with dark and milk chocolate. Topped with some fresh fruit. Tastes very posh. Perfect for a dinner date dessert. I especially love using small ramekins which make for perfect dessert portion control.

I made it again, this time with cream cheese and a chocolate cookie base instead of double cream. Still as yummy.

I made a quick orange cake for our teatime visit from our neighbours who gave us the pretty bouquet. It was a hit with their baby boy who took home the final slice. 

Made a quick butter cake once.

With Lidl's very affordable cream cheese (at 55p per 220g pack) and blueberries (at 99p per pack), how can one resist making blueberry cheesecakes??

I tried out this mug cake recipe from a book we saw at a charity shop. Memorised the ingredients on the spot and it turned out so yummy. Perfect for lazy afternoons.

Then the cookie monster took over. That's because Raya was happening and I was craving Raya cookies from years gone by.


Saw a recipe for Walnut cookies on Rasa Malaysia and thought to myself how interesting. Topped with some pecans. They turned out to be the perfect replica for the Chinese New Year peanut cookies except that they don't cause a sore throaty feeling when eaten.


Thanks to Sainsbury's for selling a gigantic pack of cornflakes at 25p, another CNY staple could be made. Very good to share with family and friends.

Due to leftover condensed milk, these cookies were born. I decided to make them slice-and-bake-style. My husband claims that they taste like Danish biscuits. You know the Rainbow one. I have two more logs in the freezer awaiting the moment that craving strikes.


Decided to haul out these pretty cutters from a friend to make some Nestum Cookies.

Very super crunchy!

Opted for a healthier cookie recipe. These were very crispy and tasty as well.

I also decided to try out a healthier oatmeal muffin but ran out of muffin cases. Genius husband suggested we do it the Costa way by using greaseproof paper.

These were really moist and yummy.

Cherry season hit and we were eating these juicy treats by the bag load. :)

Tried out Buzzfeed's 3 ingredient brownies. Yum.


Made Eton Mess a couple of times for guests after having it for the first time as a guest in a British home. We learned that it was invented accidentally during a family picnic.

Red Velvet cravings were next. Sampled a very tasty cookie from the Herne Hill market.

Later, made Cupcake Jemma's red velvet cupcakes which quickly became a keeper.

Especially with cream cheese icing. I made these at least 3 times since.

Reese's Peanut butter cups were on sale. I bought a pack and decided to make a cupcake to go with it.

Stuffed with a peanut butter mix.

After my husband bought a bottle of maple syrup, we had to have some pancake breakfasts. These breakfasts became more frequent after my in-laws gave us Kaya. :)

On one fine day, faced with leftover double cream and a craving for crepes, I decided to try my hand at the Crepe Cake. A tad more work but not too bad. 

Woke up one morning craving scones. Whipped a batch up very quickly and it was the best feeling ever.

So good especially when served with strawberry jam.

Made it again with my sister-in-law. We still have yet to buy clotted cream to have with it. So far only served with whipped cream.

We tried some Laduree macarons to see what the fuss was about. Meh....Overratedly expensive.

These are family staples for quick and yummy desserts.

Finally, egg tarts- never fails to please in our home. Both my husband and I fall head over heels for these. I found a new recipe which makes for flakier tarts and uses whole milk instead of evaporated milk. In the past two months, we have been eating these in excess. There was a time when I was making two batches every week. He would have them for breakfast and tea. In a few days they were all gone. 


2 comments:

adrienne said...

What a terrible thing to read in the morning, Deb :p Now I have this immense craving for scones and cakes and cookies and cheesecake and Reese peanut buttercups and.... The list goes on but alas, I only have a cup of tea in front of me :p

Justmytoday said...

Aww sorry Adrienne :) I forgot that cravings are transferable! :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...