Nuffnang Top

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Spain- Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol

Early January, well into winter, we were beginning to crave some warmth. We were also quite tired from all the DIY work with the new home. Thanks to Easyjet, we were able to pick a nice warm place for a few days off for much needed R & R.

S for sunshine and Spain!

Given that the trip was a spur of the moment decision, I rustled up our leftover ingredients in the fridge so that it wouldn't spoil over the week. Made two boxes of fried rice which we really enjoyed in the airport for breakfast. Will definitely make this a part of our travel routine when I can.

Arrived at Malaga Airport. Started to thaw a little.

We took the train to Torremolinos to check in to this lovely place.
As it was offpeak, we got good prices for the accomodation as well.

We fell into a coma the moment we arrived in our room. We hadn't realised how tired we were until we woke up. We went for a walk around the neighbourhood in the evening and saw this awesome statue. For some reason, Torremolinos reminds me of Kuching, Sarawak. Many parts also remind me of Malaysia. 

 Inspired by the statue.

The next day we decided to spend a lazy day down at the beach just soaking in the sun and waves.



The hotel we were at was full of British expats and retirees who were known to retreat there during the winter months. There were plenty of activities organised by the hotel to keep their guests entertained throughout the season. We participated in some- pistol shooting, archery and ping pong. It was super fun. There were competitions as well. The hubby and my pistol target. When you hit nothing, the crowd yells, 'Mosquiiito!'

I managed to win the ladies pistol event! Beginner's luck definitely given that the ladies there were pretty good shots as they had weeks to practise... 

The view of the statue during the day.

 We also decided to rent some rollerblades after we saw quite a few people rollerblading up and down the sidewalk. We spent an hour or so rollerblading on the hotel courtyard before we bravened ourselves to bring it outside. On the way out however, it was uphill. I was walking in the rollerblades as silly as I was. So at an incline, I suddenly started sliding backwards and fell on my bum. A nice old man in his wheelchair was passing by and he actually reached down to see if I was alright. Hubby was trying to help me up but as I was strapped in wheels, I kept sliding back onto my bum when I tried getting up. I couldn't stop laughing at the silliness. Finally, I'm glad to say I actually managed to roll over onto the grass and stand up that way. Phew! We went on to enjoy rollerblading down the main road both ways. Pretty fun reliving my childhood!

The highlight for me was meeting T the cat here. We first saw T climbing up a tree to escape a dog by the side of the road. The sight was quite funny as other passerbys stopped to giggle at the cat mainly because the dog was on a leash and quite far away from it.

It very quickly won our hearts, even the hubby who did not like cats. It was really skittish and one evening when we were walking in the gardens, we saw two other adult cats which were cornering it. They hissed at it violently and its poor ears and forehead went flat down like the Goombas in Super Mario when he steps on them. Hubby chased the two bullies away. 

Poor T had this terrified look on its face, constantly on the lookout for attackers. I think it has had to fend for itself a lot growing up. It was very docile, unlike the other cats we saw on the premises. It was also quite silly... another evening when we were strolling in the gardens, we saw that it had got itself stuck on the roof with some wires and was meowing its little lungs out. Hubby climbed up a bench and rescued it. 

Silly T. We miss you... 

As for the food in Spain, we were spoiled rotten with the buffet selection in the hotel. My favourite dish of all was the 'local vegetable' (as it label stated). No idea what this is but I love them and could eat an entire chaffing dish full of these little suckers.

After resting, walking, eating, and sleeping well for a few days, it was time to head home to the cold country. 
Adiós! Buenos días!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...